Iran vows response to attempts for violating its sovereignty
Iran’s Foreign Ministry says the country will respond to any move which violates its sovereignty reacting to a recent announcement that Washington will loosen some of its communications sanctions.
Share It :
"US has long attempted to undermine Iran's stability & security - to no avail," the ministry's spokesman Nasser Kan'ani tweeted on Saturday.
"It can't hide its nefarious designs: loosening communications sanctions, while keeping Max Pressure in place. Both meant to provoke instability," he added, warning that "bids to violate Iran's sovereignty won't go unanswered."
The remarks came a day after the United States Treasury Department issued guidance exempting some previously sanction-stricken internet services for Iranians.
The move by Washington came amid protests that followed the September 16 death of Mahsa Amini,a young Iranian woman who collapsed while in police custody and later died at hospital. The 22-year-old lost her life despite intensive medical care and resuscitation efforts.
Despite Iranian officials’ clarification on circumstances surrounding Amini’s death, violent street protests have erupted and led to attacks on security officers and acts of vandalism against public property and sanctities.
Speaking on Friday, Iran’s Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi said the riots that have followed Amini's death, had nothing to do with the tragic event, stating that the issue was being exploited by rabble-rousers to instigate chaos and wreak havoc across the country.
US officials have alleged that the exemptions would "help" Iranians access tools that can be used to circumvent the Iranian government's cyber surveillance controls.
Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX, an American space technology and satellite communications corporation, has also announced that his company would provide Starlink, the firm's satellite broadband service, to Iranians. Musk said on Monday his company would provide Starlink to Iranians, and would ask for a sanctions exception to do so.
Back in 2018, former American President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and re-imposed the anti-Iran sanctions that were lifted under the accord while piling on with new ones. Trump declared that he intended to compel Iran to negotiate a deal that would restrict the Islamic Republic’s ballistic missile program and its influence in its own region.